Sports Hall of Fame
The Sports Hall of Fame Committee provides financial assistance raised anually from banquet proceeds through a successful working agreement between the two organizations. Over the years, the museum has received funding which has allowed for displays, recording of data, a security system, new outdoor signage, the purchase of a scanner and, most recently, the renovation of the Sports Rooms with a new touch-screen TV.
Until his death in 1997, one of the most frequent and regular visitors to the museum, and particularly the Sports Hall of Fame, was Frank Murdock. When the first induction ceremony was held in 1982, Mr. Murdock was a natural choice for charter induction. He starred in high school sports, played goal for the many great lacrosse teams of the roaring 20's, played basketball, baseball and hockey, held key executive positions in several sports, served on the Parks Board and Parks Recreation Community Centre Commission and was in charge of volunteer electricians during the volunteer arena building program in 1947-48. Frank Murdock, who was born in the immediate King Street area, was at ease in the museum building since he worked within its confines as a Wallaceburg Hydro employee. 505 King Street was a virtual second home to Frank Murdock.
During Landmark Committee deliberations in 1997, it was decided to honour Frank Murdock's outstanding contribution to sports in Wallaceburg by designating the Sports Hall of Fame in his name. He passed away March 29, 1997 but his memory and long association with the local sports scene will be perpetuated through the honour bestowed upon him.